Feb 5, 2013

The Last Song


As I work towards my first full length album, I plan on releasing shorter EPs and singles as songs are completed. These releases will eventually become my debut LP; no name yet, but I'm open to suggestions. Traditionally musicians wait until everything is complete to send their album out into the world, but I figure in this digital age of music there is no reason I can't let my fans, friends and family hear what I'm working on as I go. Also, the popularity of specific songs on these shorter releases may help me figure out what to include on the final CD (and hopefully vinyl).

I can't think of a better song to start this whole project off than with The Last Song. Besides the delicious irony of beginning with The Last Song, it is also fitting because it has been with me for about a decade now. Written in the aftermath of the collapse of my first great love, the song is one part sweet and contemplative ballad, and one part angry break-up song. It's got a little something for everyone. It's been with me for a long time, and I feel it's one of the songs that best expresses my "Joshness" (my quiddity, for you hyper-literates), both as an expression of my feelings in the lyrics as well as an expression of the sounds that resonate within me musically. I hope you like it!

Special thanks to singer/songwriter Jacob Brown, who helped me perform this song all those years back while it was still in embryo. Playing with you no doubt helped form the finished product.

Listen to The Last Song on Reverbnation






No comments:

Post a Comment