Feb 12, 2013

Morning Light

Morning Light is the second track off my brand new release, Josh Niehaus Begins. Musically this song began as a very simple guitar riff (the one you hear at the beginning of the song and in the verses), but it quickly grew into a 40+ track recording session. It ended up being one of my more textural and orchestrated songs, overflowing with both organic and electronic sounds. 

Anyone who has created something that they have poured their heart and soul into, whether it’s writing, an invention, a relationship, a child, etc., knows that what may have started out as a simple idea or act can grow out of one’s control. A character can outgrow the book it was born in, an idea can become a multinational corporation, a child will grow to find itself. Even a simple song like my own can wrestle its way to freedom, and leave me hearing things I never heard when I was creating it. I’m not prepared to follow this idea into a value judgement or metaphysical treatise, but I’m glad that this song, Morning Light, wrestled and and evolved to the very end, because that’s what it is about. 

Morning Light tells the story so many of us are familiar with; how quickly a minor incident, careless words and a prior memory that has yet to leave your mind in peace can turn to shouting and leave you wondering how something so simple could’ve become that. Of course now I am talking about struggling with a relationship, but a relationship is an act of creation as well. And for those of us who can learn to fight with it, not against it, even if it takes all night, a reward awaits. After all, what could be greater than struggling as an individual, pouring yourself out and into new entity you are co-creating; something part you and part something more. It takes a lot of work, but it's worth it.  

Thanks for taking the time to read this. It may have been a bit heavy and I’m not sure how much of what I have just said comes through in the song, after all it is a pop/rock love song. So I’m glad I got to share these thoughts and feelings, and I hope you enjoy Morning Light.

Josh Niehaus Begins, available on iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp, Spotify. 

No comments:

Post a Comment